Sunday, February 15, 2009

MetroMint Water At Whole Foods Market

I had no idea that Whole Foods Market is a cult phenomenon. The first time I ducked into the store, it was simply because it was near my Albuquerque, NM hotel and I needed to pick up some fluids to drink (the dry air and altitude there dehydrate me quickly).


I was surprised to see that the grocery seemed to specialize in organic foods and had many unusual products. By the end of the week I was addicted to mint water, returning a couple of times to pick up more bottles.

Mint Water
Though it sounds weird at first, MetroMint water is surprisingly refreshing with a variety of subtle mint flavors and no sugar. I tried the spearmint, peppermint, orange, and lemon waters. The chocolate mint seemed a little too strange to me, but a colleague said it was actually the best, so I'll have to get it next time.

They use natural mint oil and reverse osmosis water for a very pure, refreshing sensation.

Cassava Chips
I also picked up a bag of cassava chips which had a mild ginger seasoning (cassava is a relative of the potato but supposedly has more fiber and cooks up with a different, firmer texture). They were very good and noticeably less oily than potato chips.

All of the bags looked like they were about to burst, however. I speculated that they were filled at sea level and then expanded at Albuquerque's 5,300 foot elevation.


I didn't have the opportunity to eat the chips while in town so I opened a small hole to release the pressure before taking them on the airplane.

About Whole Foods Market
Whole Foods started in Austin, TX as one of the first large natural foods markets. They now have almost 300 locations in the US, UK, and Canada, and I like not not only their organic orientation but that they have a lot of unusual foods and brands.

Unfortunately, the nearest stores to me are at least 45 minutes away, so ironically I only go when I fly 1800 miles to New Mexico.

However, a Safeway near my home carries MetroMint and I'll have to make a special stop to get some. It's not cheap at about $1.50 a bottle, but it's a small luxury.

No comments:

Post a Comment