Sunday, November 2, 2008

Ray's Hell Burger in Arlington, VA

I'll go out of my way for good food. Today I drove an hour to Arlington, VA where I ate one of the best burgers I've ever had.

I'd been reading about Michael "Ray" Landrum's restaurants for a while on Chowhound.com, but hadn't tried them because of the distance and because they don't take phone reservations. (The owner is quirky that way. He also doesn't believe in web sites.) Since I was planning to be nearby I decided to stop at Ray's Hell Burger, which opened up this summer.

Both Ray's the Steaks and Ray's Hell Burger are in the same little strip mall. Ray's the Steaks (RTS) supposedly has the best steaks in the DC area, and Hell Burger grinds up the same aged, handcut steaks to make the burgers. RTS has a nice store front:


But you wouldn't even know that Ray's Hell Burger serves food:


The small paper sign on the door is the only indication that Hell Burger even exists. Once inside there are paper menus posted in the vestibule and further information on a chalkboard. You can see them cutting the beef and making the burgers behind the stainless steel counter where you order. The place was packed.

I ordered what they called the "Let's Get It On" Burger: Applewood smoked bacon; Swiss and Vermont white cheddar cheese; cognac and sherry sauteed mushrooms; grilled red onions; sauteed peppers; roasted garlic; lettuce and tomato; all served over a grilled 10 oz burger on a toasted brioche bun.

When it came out it was a masterpiece:


The beef was lightly charred and perfectly cooked, with just the right amount of fat to keep it from being too dry (as opposed to Five Guys' burgers which wallow in grease). The mushrooms and garlic were especially savory. I didn't bother to put on any ketchup or sauce; it sure didn't need it. 

The kicker is that all of this was only $8.95.

After this experience my next stop is Ray's the Classics, which is a little closer to me in Silver Spring, MD. I've heard they serve the burgers in the bar there, so the next time I go to Arlington I'll try the steaks. When you're this good I guess you can afford to be a little quirky.

No comments:

Post a Comment