Saturday, March 7, 2009

New-Design Jawbone Bluetooth Headset Earbuds

I lost the large-size earbud on my Aliph Jawbone Noise Assassin ($130) bluetooth headset that I use with my iPhone, so I went to the Jawbone web site to order some replacements.

(As noted before, the fit is critical to the performance of the Noise Assassin. When it works, it's the best headset for clarity and noise suppression.

But if the voice sensor isn't touching your face, it sounds like you're speaking into a tin can to the other end; and the earbud is the most important factor in getting a good fit.)

New Earbud Design
To my surprise Jawbone was offering a new design of earbuds that allows you to wear the earpiece without the over-the-ear hook, if so desired. A new secondary loop rests inside of the folds of your outer ear, and holds the earpiece snugly in your ear and pressed against your face, even if you move or tilt your head.


The catch is that while they only charge for shipping, you could only order one package of three assorted-size earbuds. But since I needed an earbud that fit I put in an order for one pack and chose expedited shipping at $5.

Testing The New Earbuds
So far I like the new earbud design better. The fit is a little more comfortable, and I also no longer have to worry about bending the flimsy earhook (which I no longer use) where its spindle goes into the hole on the earpiece.

I had hopes that I could use it with the medium size earbud because it pressures my outer ear less, but the headpiece was unstable and fell out so I reverted to the large earbud.


Assassin In A Bottle
The only real remaining drawback? When I began testing it after exchanging the earbuds, it was already turned on. Somewhere in the process I must have pressed it enough to turn it on without noticing it (or else I turned it on the last time I stowed it away).

This happens pretty frequently to me and my big concern is that since my use is sporadic, one day I'll go to use it and find the charge will be drained.

So I came up with a decidedly low-tech solution. I cleaned out an old prescription bottle and without the hook, the Noise Assassin slips into it comfortably. So far it's prevented any accidental activations at all, even when rattling around in my pocket.


The Verdict
To me great design incorporates usability as well as style. With the Jawbone Noise Assassin, Aliph has sacrificed practical usage for looks, though this design tweak is a nice improvement.

The terrific noise suppression performance makes up for the flaw but I'm holding out hope that they'll redesign the control buttons on their next model.

Changes I'd Like To See
Ideally, they would offer a more rugged version of the headset. This is the kind of device that gets pitched into my pocket or jacket when I'm not using it, and my priorities are performance, usability, reliability, and durability. Styling is a factor but it can't come at the expense of the other criteria.

Even with the sensitivity of this device to accidental hang-ups and activation I'm keeping the Noise Assassin because it simply works far better than any other headset I've tried, and my prescription bottle workaround has helped a lot. As a bonus, putting it in a bottle also keeps me from losing the earbud, which tends to slip off if I just stuff the Noise Assassin in my pocket.

Related: Jawbone Noise Assassin Bluetooth Headset (1/3/09)

No comments:

Post a Comment